Saturday, November 24, 2012

To become as a little child....

 This Thanksgiving holiday I was in Kanab with my family. Everyone was there Thursday to eat and enjoy the holiday. But, a lot of my family members left that night. So, Friday, I had the opportunity to just be at the house with my dad, mom and my little niece Tori who is almost three. My dad was out hunting most of the day with my younger cousin Cody. So, my mom, Tori and I hung out at the house. We went and ran some errands in town and then spent the day doing things around the house, playing with Tori and relaxing. 

    As I  watch Tori play and as I spend time with her,  her love and innocence radiates from her. We often hear that the eyes are the window to her soul and the best way I can describe it is, Tori's little eyes just smile all the time with a light that she has. Yesterday while being with her the following line from Mosiah 3:19 in The Book of Mormon came to my mind, "... and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon Him." 

If you have had an opportunity to be around a little child long enough, you can see a lot of these qualities. Tori, is a really content kid the majority of the time, she is a good listener and she minds. She is always so willing to show love and it is hard to not be happy her.  I feel too as I have been around kids that they can sense when something is wrong. Today on the car ride to St. George to meet my friend Ogden,  I was having a conversation with my mom about my inadequacies and how Satan makes me feel sometimes that I will never be able to overcome them. And from the backseat, Tori goes, " Ashie, Ashie, .....Ashie," ( and at first I did not hear her but she patiently kept saying my name over and over again) and I then said, "Yes Tori?" She said, " Ashie, I love you" How could she have known in that moment that those words was all I needed to hear? How could she have known that by something so simple it could change the course of my thinking in that moment? Children have that gift to sense and to know that something is wrong and are quick to comfort.

 Another instance that happened this weekend, was one morning I woke up with a bad headache. I went to lay down about mid-morning. As I laid down, Tori came in, ( as a preface I have to let you know that  Tori loves baby dolls, she loves playing with her babies and being a mommy to them.) So, I  laid down and she came in and said," Ashie, here is one of my babies in order to help feel you better."The fact that she said "feel you better" just melted my heart,but also she was willing to take something that she loved so much and share it with me.  In her mind, being able to have a toy baby makes her feel better and she was willing to share with her aunt in order to have it make me happy as well! I know that children have that innocence and love like our Heavenly Father. They come to earth with that love and innocence and we as their mothers/fathers/aunts/uncles are able to learn great truths from them. I know that Heavenly Father loves his children. In all the accounts of the scriptures, Heavenly Father took time for the little ones. I know that Heavenly Father wants us to think and be more like children, or in my life, more like my little niece Tori.  

In little kid's minds there is a solution to everything, they do not complicate things with reasoning of men or with doubt, if they think it, they believe it and can achieve it. I want to be more like Tori or a little child in that aspect. I want to believe in myself, that if I think it, I can believe that with God I can achieve it. Satan will always come, Satan will always be on the sidelines of your conscience telling you that you can't or that you are not good enough.  But, we have to remember the Lord does not give us anything that we cannot handle. He does not give us any mountain to high, or anything task that is too hard for us to complete together with the Lord. Lastly, humility means that we are not afraid to fail. I feel many times my talents stay hidden, because I am afraid that I might fail. But, as I watch Tori, when she falls, she gets back up, when her tower of building blocks tumbles over, she builds it up again, and when her dirt pile  gets stomped on by her cousin, she starts all over again. May I work to adapt this mentality and to realize that FAILURE does come in life, because I am not perfect. That I may remember that sometimes I will not do as well in some aspect of my life  as someone else , but to realize that My Heavenly Father loves me the exact same and that Failure and trials are given to me because of that Love and not because I am being punished. 

   My little niece Tori, makes me happy! She makes me realize that the important things in life are not things, but are the gifts and knowledge that only Our Heavenly Father can teach us. The truths that come through His gospel. I am also grateful for the knowledge that Mosiah teaches us that we must become as a little child to work towards becoming more like Our Heavenly Father. I love my little niece Tori and I know that she is loved of her Heavenly Father and that even though she be small, I have a lot to learn from Her. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment